Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's My Park Day Kids Gardening event May 15th, 2010 in New York City

An old Chinese proverb translates to, "If you want to be happy your whole life long, be a gardner". I understand that completely, gardening is in my soul, and for the past 5 years in New York city, I've been lucky to have a plot in a community garden, where Max and I have planted flowers and herbs.  An added bonus, for the past 5 years, I've been lucky to be able to head up the kids gardening event in Washington Market Park to celebrate the citi-wide It's My Park Day. This year it fell on a sunny Saturday, May 15th and throngs of kids, aged from 18 months to 9 years, were out in full force, armed with trowels with giraffe head handles and miniature red rakes. We even had a brownie troop show up, planting in order to earn one of their badge. One ecstatic child kicked off her silver slippers in order to wiggle her toes in the dirt as she dug. Delight to  behold.

Here are some photos of this years event!
About 70 kids showed up this year to plant flowers in our Tribeca Children's Garden at Washington Market Park.


My co-board member Elizabeth, took charge of doling out the gloves, I helped to hand out gloves to the kids.


My son Max and I find a wriggly worm while planting white Impatiens.

My co-board member Elizabeth, who volunteered to help with this event 
and her daughter plant impatiens. 


Couple of neighborhood gardeners (and friends of Max) planting begonias and Impatiens.

A pretty-in-pink barefoot gardener.
The collage poster I made for this Spring's event. 

Tickled that my fellow board member Kirsten, who kindly found and ordered the kids gloves 
for the event, found some that perfectly matched the poster.

--Monica Forrestall

No comments:

Post a Comment